Main Content

FAA Student Pilot Certificate

This applies to all JFA sections: Power, Glider, and Balloon.

In 2016 the FAA changed how you apply and get your plastic student pilot certificate; you will need this to solo.

You now have two options.

1- Go to the FSDO and apply for your student pilot certificate in person. You can find your local FSDO at http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

2- You can apply with a CFI using IACRA  https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx

START THIS PROCESS EARLY. It can take 6-8 weeks for the student pilot certificate to be mailed to your house. If you have a paper student pilots certificate from past years and it is not expired you do not need to get a new one.

There is no cost to obtain a student pilot certificate from the FAA. Student pilot certificates do not expire so apply early. Don't let this stop you from a solo flight at JFA.

© 2022 Civil Air Patrol. All rights reserved.